Now, for a happier note...
I have been thinking a lot about what I am doing here and how I can show Christ in all my relationships here.
For those who don't know, Czech Republic is a predominately atheist nation and truly postchristian. The younger generation is growing up without any Spiritual influence at all.
A friend of mine is praying for some area of the world every day for the whole year. There is a book called Operation World and it gives you specific things and areas of the world to pray for. If you are interested in joining us, he posts the prayer requests on his twitter XCwaterboy and he will say #OperationWorld when he posts the requests.
Anyways, a couple of weeks ago we spent a week praying for Europe. Here are the requests...
Day36 #operationworld pray 4 immigrant issues in EUROPE. Pray that newcomers are a positive influence on continent etc.
Day35 #operationworld pray for younger generation in EUROPE. Truly postchristian, many aren't even aware of religion in any sense at all.
Day34 #operationworld Pray 4 hot spots of EUROPE, esp. restive enclaves like Kosovo, Basque region, N. Ireland, Cyprus. Peace not violence.
Day33 #operationworld Massive decline in church attendance in EUROPE in last generation. Pray it would increase in 2011.
Day32 #operationworld Pray for the 2 decades of relative religious and political freedom in EUROPE since demise of USSR. #itsagoodthing
So, as you can see there is a deep need here and also a very present darkness.
When I first came here I was super pumped of course and anytime there was any sort of window open to turn the conversation towards God I would do it. And they would listen and it was super exciting. But the more I am here the more I am seeing they really don't care, they don't see any point in God or have any desire to even discuss it. As far as an afterlife they believe there isn't one or that we come back as something else.
At first, I thought I have never had these Atheist thoughts, I have never struggled with believing if there was a God or not. Because I was raised in church and went to a Christian school, so clearly I could see there was a God. BUT something I can relate to is going to many Christian events and hearing about God and singing songs to God but totally not believing it or experiencing it.
Let me explain, here there are many opportunities (praise the Lord) for youth to be involved in fun activities that talk about God. There is Tensing http://www.tensing.cz/system/index.php, they are a rock choir that also has a bible study during there rehearsals. I have been to a couple of their concerts and they sing amazing worship songs from Hillsong and many other Christian artists. There is also YoungLIfe, www.younglife.cz, and they have fun events all the time with worship songs and a bible story. But several of my students are in the choir and young life and I know they don't believe so they are just singing empty words because for whatever reason God hasn't opened there eyes, heart and soul yet. But the good news is, they are continuing to come and be around it and I know that means God is calling them, at least I hope.
The going to church events and not really believing or realizing the depth of what was going on, is what I can relate to. I grew up going to church every Sunday, youth group every Wednesday and every VBS, and church camp that was available and Christian school. BUT, for whatever reason God didn't open up my ears until I started attending The Village. It's not to say that the true Gospel was never preached at any of the places I frequented when I was younger, I honestly don't remember. BUT, the Village does preach the true Gospel every Sunday. Other places maybe teach some bible story, or something about Christianity, but hello people it is the Gospel that saves!!!
Please join me in prayer that the ministries here will preach the Gospel. We are working on it.
In the mean time...there has been a verse that has been on my heart. I finally found that it is in 1 Corinthians 9. I have already been reading 1 Corinthians while going through the old testament but I hadn't got to chapter 9 yet. Anyways....read the whole chapter when you have time but for here I will only talk about a few verses.
Paul is sharing about his ministry in this chapter and what it looks like. In verses 19-23 he says,
"For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel,that I may share with them in its blessings."
OK, so how does that actually work and what does that actually look like? Here in the Czech they would be outside the law, so how can I become like that while still maintaining my relationship with Christ and not compromising what He has called me to? And I also think this means to understand where they are coming from and why everyone is mostly Atheist. How can I do that? I have been thinking about reading a book called the Reason for God just so I can know some facts and details to be able to share with them....I have no idea. Prayers and advice are much appreciated. :)
That's all for now...
No comments:
Post a Comment