Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Our first day in Ostrava (Travel adv. part 3)

I knew I needed to get out of my flat even if I had no clue how anything worked or could pronounce any of the streets around me. I knew if I didn't get out that fear would just take over.

The other girls were brave enough to come and find us. And they were very successful. The first wierd/frustrating thing was when we put coins into the machine to get bus tickets. There were some coins it didn't like so it wouldn't take them. And then sometimes everything would be fine and we would be feeding the machine but then all of a sudden it spits all your money back at you in 5KC coins. UGH! So of course my logic/problem solving self is like. Why is it doing this?? What are we doing wrong?? While the other girls just shove the money right back in the machine. While that seems crazy, it actually worked.

So, my need for "why?" wasn't answered...but the good news is that the same thing happens to the locals all the time. They have no idea what ticks the machine off either. So that is good...I supposed. What is better is that we have a bus pass and don't have to deal with it anymore...except when we travel outside of Ostrava!

This day turned out great, we went to the grocery store. Mostly uneventful, we very quickly realized going to the grocery store, at least for me, is something that takes quite a bit of energy. You get a hand basket because you know you can only buy what you can carry, and then you get to carry said heavy basket around the store while you look for things that are not in a place that would make sense. For example, I needed a hair straightener because the one I brought wouldn't work. Well, I go near the hair and shampoo, brushes etc. and there are none. Then Chelsea says "did you check electronics?" I said no, because that doesn't make any sense. Well, she was right. It was next to the hair dryers, in the electronics section. Now, are we crazy, or are they?? Then you get to carry all your stuff home...just super exhausting.

We got some basics and made dinner that night, Spaghetti. And that ends our first day in Ostrava, Very successful. :)

No comments: