Today we did this exercise where they gave us a list of about 80 things and we were to list "essential" or "non-essential" next to it. This list was a huge list of spiritual things. They told us this was not a list that determines salvation, but rather a list of things that are either "essential or not essential" to growth and obedience in Christ (sanctification).
Some of the things were "communion can only be taken with real wine", "women cannot be in leadership roles in the church", "you must greet everyone with a Holy kiss". Stuff like that. Those are more extreme examples but there were a few that I know would step on some toes.
The only ones I marked essential were the ones I knew there was a scripture for. There were a few I was not sure on and wanted to search before our session but I did not have time.
However, the session went a lot differently than I thought. I was worried we would go through and ESI would tell us which ones were essential and were not. That could go bad very quickly.
What they did instead was, said that everyone has differences of opinion and sometimes both people have scripture supporting their side (not sure I agree with this), and so this was just to be aware of the differences we all have even though we are all "saved".
They had different numbers posted around the room 0, 1-10, 10-16, 16-19 and 20 plus. We were to get up and go stand under the number that represented the amount of items we marked as essential. I had like 27 or something. So I knew I would be alone in the 20 somethings. Thankfully I wasn't, two other people joined me. The other hundred people were all under less amounts.
Anyways, my point is we then read Romans 14. Please read it when you get a chance. I have read it before, but it just came so alive to me at this time it was truly amazing! It talks about judging fellow believers and causing your brother to stumble. The passage clearly states that Paul is talking about those who do believe and the differences among believers. One who eats meat, eats to the glory of God, the one who doesn't, does the same. We are all worshiping God and if it is an act down out of Faith, then it is not sin and we should not judge or cause them to stumble.
Very cool!
Along with this, just this morning I wanted to catch up on my bible in a year plan and I was behind (suprise suprise). So usually that means I just want to read all the chapters I need to and get myself caught up. Of course however, God had me stop on the first chapter which was 1 Corinthians 9. The whole chapter is amazing and super applicable but specifically verses 20-23.
"To the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to men under the Law, [I became] as one under the Law, though not myself being under the Law, that I might win those under the Law. To those without (outside) law I became as one without law, not that I am without the law of God and lawless toward Him, but that I am [especially keeping] within and committed to the law of Christ, that I might win those who are without law. To the weak (wanting in discernment) I have become weak (wanting in discernment) that I might win the weak and overscrupulous. I have [in short] become all things to all men, that I might by all means (at all costs and in any and every way) save some [by winning them to faith in Jesus Christ]. And I do this for the sake of the good news (the Gospel), in order that I may become a participator in it and share in its [blessings along with you].
God and His sovereignty never cease to amazing me. I get behind on my plan and He stil times it with what He needs to teach me.
Amazing! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment